Mandate and Functions
The Regional Office, headed by the Regional Director, has the following functions:
- Implement laws, rules, regulations, policies, plans, programs and projects of the authority;
- Provide efficient and effective service to the people;
- Coordinate with regional offices and other agencies in the administrative regions; and
- Perform such other functions as may be provided by law.
VISION FOR S & T
By 2010, the Philippines shall have carved niches and become a world-class knowledge provider and user in selected S&T areas; and shall have developed a vibrant Filipino S&T culture; and
By 2020, the Philippines shall have developed a wide range of globally competitive products and services of high technology content.
GOALS FOR S&T
DOST Caraga will spearhead the harnessing of science and technology for suitable economic development and enhancement of quality of life of the people and environment of Caraga Region through:
- Provision of appropriate, timely and adequate science and technology services;
- The creation of more technology-based enterprises producing a wide range of globally competitive products and services;
- The development and strengthening of regional science and technology infrastructure, manpower and active S&T sector.
MANDATED CORE FUNCTIONS
The Regional Offices of the DOST are mandated by law to:
- Identify S&T needs and opportunities in the region;
- Formulate a Regional S&T Plan;
- Plan and implement programs and projects on R&D and the delivery of S&T services;
- Monitor and coordinate programs and projects of DOST Councils, Institutes and Support Agencies in the region;
- Develop Institutional linkages; and
- Provide grants-in aid.
RATIONALIZED CORE FUNCTION
In accordance with the mandate of law and in response to the identified needs of the specific regions, the Regional Offices of the DOST are tasked to:
1. Formulate and implement a regional S&T Plan consistent with and supportive of the regional and national S&T development thrusts;
2. Plan and implement S&T services such as testing and calibration services, human resource development particularly at the high school and undergraduate levels, advocacy and information dissemination;
3. Assist technology-based enterprises in the regions to improve their productivity and enhance their competitiveness in both local and international markets through better product/service quality and standards;
4. Monitor and coordinate programs and projects of DOST Councils, Institutes and other attached agencies in the region; and
5. Develop institutional linkages with regional offices and other agencies, local governments and private organizations or entities for the effective planning and implementation of S&T programs in the region.