The Department of Science and Technology (DOST-Caraga) is now accepting applicants for the 2017 Junior Level Science Scholarships (JLSS) for Third Year College Students.
This year’s JLSS Program has three (3) categories:
- RA 10612 – aims to strengthen the country’s science and technology education by fast-tracking graduates in the sciences, mathematics and engineering who shall teach science and mathematics in secondary schools throughout the country
- RA 7687 – awarded to poor, talented and deserving students who belong to families whose socioeconomic status do not exceed the set values of certain indicators
- Merit – awarded to students with high aptitude in science and mathematics and are willing to pursue careers in the fields of science and technology
The implementation of RA 10612 supports the execution of Section 8 of the K to 12 law which urges the hiring of teachers from among the graduates of science, technology, engineering and mathematics courses.
The selection of DOST scholars is through a written examination which will be held on November 19, 2017 (Sunday) at identified testing centers all over the country. To be eligible to take the scholarship examination, applicants must have the following qualifications:
- Natural-born Filipino citizen;
- Incoming regular 3rd year college student in an identified priority S&T course for SY 2017-2018;
- Have a general weighted average (GWA) of at least 83% or its equivalent in his/her first and second years in college;
- Qualifier of the 2017 JLSS Examination
Qualifiers of this scholarship program will receive the privileges following the existing financial assistance of the RA 7687 and RA 10612 scholars. They will be entitled to subsidy for tuition fee and other school fees, monthly living allowance for 10 to 11 months, book allowance, and more during the last 2 or 3 years of their undergraduate studies.
Application forms are available at the DOST Caraga Regional Office, CSU Compound, Ampayon, Butuan City and DOST Provincial Offices in Patin-ay, Agusan del Sur, Surigao City, Bislig City Tandag City, and San Jose, Province of Dinagat Islands and can be downloaded at http//www.sei.dost.gov.ph.
Deadline for submission of application form and supporting documents is on September 22, 2017.
For inquiries, please visit or call DOST-Caraga @ telephone no. 342-6225 (Meriam B. Bouquia, DOST-Caraga)